Wednesday 27 June 2007

Qualified!


I shall class today as the first of my teaching career. Until today, despite already having a firm job offer my future was still in doubt. Today I, Rachael Elizabeth Webster, officially become a qualified teacher type person. It is not the day of joy I was anticipating as it has been tarred by some issues at the university and the fact that my sister and her own tiddlypeeps have returned to survey the damage after suffering the Sheffield floods. Thankfully they have actually not lost too much apart from the contents of their cellar.

So now I am beginning to plan and organise my very first classroom. This is what I have been looking forward to for 6 years but am suddenly feeling that the task ahead is going to be a little daunting! I am moving into the room of a retiring teacher who has been in the school for 20 years. I am feeling very aware that I am in fact a novice, no matter how many amazing fresh ideas I may have. Thankfully I have my own level 3 nursery nurse who seems on first meeting to be into the same style of teaching and learning as myself- child initiated and as messy as possible!!! I am currently on the scrounge for tatty old bean bags (as a seamstress I am able to recover them) to furnish the book corner which is worse than woeful right now.

With giddy anticipation and more than a little apprehension I become a grown up with a career and everything!

2 comments:

Sarah Ditum said...

That's a great first post! I'm looking forward to reading more. Oh, and what a very delightful picture...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will do very well! We have a teacher leaving our school this year and she has been there for 24 years. She is a lovely lady and it is sad to see her go. She is being replaced by a very young lady who started at the school about 4 years ago and when she first started the children thought she was one of the teaching assistants - she looked very very young!! She is lovely too, and I'm sure you will settle nicely into your classroom, just as she did and look forward to the next 24+ years ahead of you - Good luck!